Friday, July 20, 2007

Holier Than Thou

I went to the chamber event last night and it was better than last time, but not much better.  The only thing that made it better was that I knew a few people already.  They hooked me up with one or two people that will hopefully lead to some business relationship.  However these events are like swimming with sharks.  The swimming mass is dominated by hard core business people who are only looking out for themselves.  It's not my style.  I'm usually looking for something mutually beneficial

Anyway I call my CPA friend since he knows a personal trainer and I've been looking to start a relationship with one to help my patients that want to continue on with their health and I can't give them any hands on outside of the office.  When I introduce myself I am always "Michael Vanella" while everyone else says "Dr. Vanella".  The CPA was like your a doctor as many people will say to me.  I'm casual about it.  I don't feel insulted or slighted if you don't call me "doctor".  Treat me with respect like you would anyone else and we'll get along fine.  For some reason this is a very strange concept for most.  I guess it is social conditioning.  Like the "white coat", the stigma of a "doctor" is still there.   People expect me to be very stiff and detached from the rest of the world.  People I've known over the years are always a little thrown by it.  Like I may be a normal person.  Hey I shit like the rest of humanity so I'm not higher than anyone else. 

Besides that today is the day.  I got my bracelet #317 for Harry Potter tonight.  Hopefully I won't have to work late tonight.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Most of the doctors I know (physicists, medical doctors, acoustical engineer, environmentalists), etc., don't use "doctor" in their social life, and don't throw it around.  They use it professionally, but otherwise, integrate themselves into their world just as much or as little as they would otherwise.  # 317, eh.  lol  I'm skipping that one, but, enjoy it.

Anonymous said...

Hello old friend i can't wait for my new harry potter book I can be such a dork i know lol enjoy your weekend
~Marina