Friday, October 5, 2007

What Is Up with The Ring?

Over the last few months I've noticed a trend of women wearing rings on their wedding finger that are more fashionable I guess. I've seen what looks like a red plastic band to today's silver with a lapis stone in it. Are these women married? What signal are they trying to broadcast? Why do I ask? Well it was our monthly cook out and each month we get more people from the complex to come. Anyway Spa girl came today. She was attractive and we talked backgrounds for a while. She needed a change is her reason for moving here. I figured divorce or something since she mentioned no husband. It seemed like she liked me, but then I noticed the odd ring on her finger. WTF? It's not a wedding ring in any conventional manner. So what is it then? We got broken up in the crowd of conversation so I didn't get a chance to hint around. Natural instinct says just ask her out, but I know I've been known to strike to soon. So maybe next time I see her.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha, well, I wear a beautiful (in my opinion) silver rings on my "ring finger," with two tri-pointed celtic knots and a lavendar stone in it.  I'm not trying to send any signal at all.  It's the ring that this ring fits on.  Same for my daughter, but with a different colored stone in hers (but nice it matches mine), along with other rings.  I have known of a couple chosing wedding rings like those you describe, though, which I find nothing wrong with as it should reflect THEM and what they wish to symbolize and how.  I've also known of women wearing their late grandmother's (or mother's) rings, including a wedding or engagement ring.  And their own wedding rings but from a late husband (albeit, in that case, the woman may not feel like moving on, romantically, or may be wearing them as it confers some sort of status or less hassle from men).  Now, a claddaugh ring is given by someone special, and how it's facing indicates if the womans heart is taken or not:)  Otherwise?  Who knows what they mean!  Just ask.

Anonymous said...

I'm pretending to stay awake here on about 4 hours sleep.  I meant, that I wear that ring on my ring finger, as that is the finger that it fits on.  No signal intended at all, simply b/c I like that ring.  Shrug.

Anonymous said...

...follow your instinct..ask her out!
Goodluck.
Gem :-)

Anonymous said...

I wear a ring on my left ring finger, and I'm not married.  It's a beautiful "Mother's ring" that I got from my kids last Mother's day.  I wear it on my left ring finger because it's closest to my heart.  Right where my children reside..  That's my reason.  I have no idea why any one else does it.

Hugs
jackie

Anonymous said...

I think since these days jewelery is more a fashion statement than anything, it is possible that is the only reason. I know single women who wear rings on their wedding fingers simply for the reason of them looking good. It does make things more difficult for men however. I wore a ring on my wedding ring after my divorce to avoid any uncomfortable chances as I was not ready for dating. So there could be a number of reasons for the ring. One would never know unless you just take the plunge and the worst that could happen is you find she is unavailable. But I think if there is an interest on your part you should go for it. Best of luck to you. Have you heard from CPA girl at all? I also think you should give her another call just to say hello. Don't entirely close that door. Even give her the opportunity to keep you as a friend? Maybe she can then open up enough to let you know her reasons for the distance she gave. Good luck Mike...smiles...
                                                                                              Lovins...
                                                                                             TrayCee