Wednesday, August 22, 2007

The Forgotten Story

A story I forgot about from the weekend was when Eric and I stopped at Pathmark to get some food for dinner. We're walking out and heading to the car when someone excuses them self behind us. I turn around and it's this guy on a bike. I smell panhandler. He tells me he and his daughter are homeless and could he have some money. I remember her and that they were hanging out on their bikes in front of the store when I walked in. I told him I couldn't help him. Now I've dealt with panhandlers from the Bronx and all the ones we have down here in VA. I've heard all the stories. I really think their is a website out there somewhere for the stories since they all seem to get them after a while. Anyway this guy doesn't let up. He ask for change. I say sorry. How about back in the car. Sorry. Anything? At this point my son chirps in that he'll check his pockets. The guy says no he couldn't do that, but he doesn't leave anyway. Eric only has lint and papers in his pocket. This guy is annoying me and I feel like telling him I work 2 jobs and I saved up to come see my son. If you think you're getting a penny of it you've got another thing coming. Anyway we walk away and I tell Eric that he did a nice thing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel so sorry for anyone who is homeless with no money... BUT... there are so many people out there that want money for drugs and alcohol.  They could give a shit less about food.  What I do when I am approached is tell them, that I will gladly buy them a meal.. but I will not donate money.  Nine times out of ten, they say, "forget it."  Yep.. tis true..

Hugs
jackie

Anonymous said...

that was so nice of eric but that guy was totally out of line. You said no he should have said thanks and left. I feel bad for the homeless, no one should be homeless or without food ever.