Monday, November 28, 2005

A Reminder on this Journey

I was reading one of my daily reader books, 200 Ways to Raise a Boy's Emotional Intelligence, this morning.  A section I have read many times before, but today it made some pieces fit together better.  It was a passage about as boys enter puberty and sexual feelings come up.  That sex is usually not discussed except with your equally confused friends.  The message comes that strong feelings are pushed into a closet somewhere.  "The long term effects being that sex and emotions can get tied up together in a confused, distorted, and shame filled package that results in men whose only avenue to emotions at all is through sex."  I can fully relate to this.  It is what started me on this spiritual journey 5 years ago.  I was always a physical person and stoic to the bone.  When I stopped relating to everyone physically I felt like a person with no arms trying to give a hug.  What the hell do I do?  God I use to feel so impotent with people.  So I asked people, watched others, read, and used my imagination for more than just flights of fantasy.  I've made leaps and bounds in improvement, but the snares are still there.  I always watch out for them.  However I still like the thrill of the ride (see Walk on the Wild Side).

No comments: