Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Rich Man Poor Man

I had a good reminder last night at my second job.  I said hello to my boss asking him how his holiday was.  He replied it was miserable as was everything else.  What a miserable rich SOB I thought.  It reminded me of my life.  Years ago I had a very lucrative job administrating a medical clinic in the South Bronx.  I made it a very successful business. However for all my success I was incredibly miserable.  The worse in my life.  I was actually homicidal and suicidal for about a year and a half.  At a point in my life where I was financially successful, but spiritually bankrupt.  Now here I am in the completely opposite place.  Minimal money, a struggling business, and a small place to live.  However I am very happy in my life.  About the best in my life.  Since I don't have much I have learned to enjoy all the little things that life has to offer.  Even though I don't have many friends close in the area all of them are the best I could ask for.  They have helped me when they could and have made me swear that if I couldn't buy food that I would tell them.  I have always had a place to sleep when I though I would be sleeping in my car.  So here I am 5 years later financially poor, but spiritually rich and I am happy that way.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

GOSH I WISH I COULD HAVE YOUR OUTLOOK. I HAVE BEEN FINACIAL,MENTALY,SOMETIMES I THINK SPRITALLY DESTRESSED FOR A GOOD LONG TIME. I THINK GOSH SOMETHING HAS GOT TO BREAK SOON BEFORE I DO LOSE MY MIND FOR GOOD.

I DO UNDERSTAND THAT MONEY DONT ALWAYS MAKE YOU HAPPY BUT WHEN YOU CANT KEEP UP TAKING CARE OF YOURSELF IT REALLY TAKES A LOT OUT OF YOU. IF IT WASNT FOR MY YOUNGEST DAUGHTER WE WOULD BE IN WORSE SHAPE THAN WE ALREADY ARE. SHE HAS HELPED OUT FINACIALLY FOR A LONG TIME. BUT IT STILL SEEMS LIKE ITS NEVER ENOUGH. NOW MY SISTER SEEMS TO HAVE IT ALL WHEN IT COMES TO FINANCES AND SHE NEVER SEEMS VERY HAPPY. SOOOO I DO KNOW ENOUGH THAT MONEY DONT BRING ON HAPPINESS. DEBBIE

Anonymous said...

if you are truely happy...Well then my friend you are the richest man i know...Dawn

Anonymous said...

Proof that happiness can't be bought......
Friends make your life rich, not money.
I have been lurking for a few days and really enjoying your journal.
~ Jenny
http://journals.aol.com/dreamingbrwneyes/HeadClutterHeartWhispers/

Anonymous said...

How wonderful
You have riches now beyond measure
Hugs, Marina