Thursday, August 24, 2006

A Good Talk

Well Eric pulled me aside last night at work to talk in private.  He had a good cry and said he wanted to stay.  He wasn't choosing me over my ex, but just wanted us to all be together.  So I held him and we had a good talk.  I didn't bad mouth anyone.  I just told him his mom and me just don't get along.  That we loved each other, but that we learned it took more than that for a marriage to work.  And it was that part that we couldn't do.  That we knew that having two miserable parents would make him miserable.  Also that we knew that our marriage would affect how he would act when he loved someone.  That having separate parents that were happier would be able to do more for him.  That even though are marriage was bad he was the best thing in it and that we loved him very much.  I related some of my feeling to him from when my parents divorced so as to drive home he had nothing to do with it.  So he cried a lot, but seem to get some solace from it.  The thing I did find out was that I had pushed for counseling for Eric in court.  He had gotten it, but in talking last night I found out that he had never voiced these feeling in therapy.  So I will need to talk to my ex about getting him back in.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mike,

That was such a good way to explain the divorce and why you and your ex can't live together.  Letting Eric know that it's not his fault, and that he was the best thing to come out of that marriage, was beautiful.  Those words will stay with him forever.

I think it's good that he get back in counseling!

Big hugs to you... for being such a good father.  There are far to few of them around nowadays!

Jackie

http://journals.aol.com/siennastarr/Hopefloats/

Anonymous said...

I am sorry Mike.  It hurts so much to see our babies hurting.  

Terra

Anonymous said...

Poor lil guy but you did a great job talking to him
Hugs, Marina