Sunday, July 2, 2006

Sunday

Well I picked up my son yesterday, but I was so tired from the Hoochie Momma party Friday night.  (only got 4 hours sleep).  I think that might be the last of those parties since 5 cop cars were needed to break up the fights outside.

Anyway I was exhausted when I finally picked up Eric so I grabbed a room for us on the way back.  I accepted that I would rather be rested today to hang with him instead of being exhausted.  So it was a fun time.

We've had a roller coaster of doing stuff today.  Pool, basketball, baseball, and dairy queen.  It's been a lot of fun.

The downside.  I see my son has become a product of his enviroment.  Dealing with his mom will do that and I know how I was all those years.  So to see him talk in a way as not to cause problems makes me sad.  I have a funny feeling my ex in a psych hospital at the moment.  From what I can gather from my son she hasn't been around for a while.  I think that is why their has been a disruption in the phone contacts since my ex father in law is taking care of him.  Eric doesn't want to talk about it.  I told him that was okay, but I was happy to listen and nothing he would say would make me angry at him.  I had let it go except today we were playing a card game and he was losing and all of a sudden he just lost it and was crying and reverting to a 3 year old.  (he's 7).  I asked what was bothering him to try to get some angle.  He just stated the game.  I know kids have the hardest time connecting their feelings, but I worry.  No one is saying anything on my ex's side.  So we will see. 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your son must be very confused and stressed, if thats whats going on with your ex. I hope he opens up to you and lets you help.
~ Jenny

Anonymous said...

It's so hard to watch the kids go through a bad time, I hope your ex is ok.

Anonymous said...

Mike ... I am sorry that you have to go through the stress of seeing this.  When my son was that age, we made a move that was very difficult for him, and he reacted in much the same way. Your son is probably trying to process this whole thing in his mind, before saying anything to you.  You are doing the right thing,  just letting him know that you are ready and willing to listen when he is ready to talk. In time, he will probably open up to you.   Hang in there.   Tina  

Anonymous said...

Sometimes little boys just don't want to lose. I would take things at face value with a seven year old and let him win a couple of rounds. ---angel

Anonymous said...

Mike, I'm so sorry to hear of this latest stress on Eric.   I agree, making sure he knows he is not to blame, you would not be angry with him, and that it's okay for him to not talk but you're there if/when he wants to, is a good approach.  Loving support for him:)
I don't know how long he is there with you.   Is it possible for you to consider obtaining temporary custody of him while she is in the psychiatric hospital?  Perhaps that'd be to much stress on you to wage that "fight," or perhaps there are other reasons.   I do think it's something worth considering, even if you don't decide it's the best way to go.
Got to feel for those kids, and okay, us parents sometimes, too!, but gosh.
-- Robin