Saturday, September 9, 2006

Sentimental Value

Monica's comment on me keeping stuff got me thinking.  When I was young we moved a lot.  I probably moved more than military brats and it seemed to get worse as I got older.  I went to 3 different schools in 9th grade and 2 in 10th. Anyway always moving around and having friends and objects constantly ripped away from you gave me very little sense of sentimental value.  It was a inside joke with my friends that you were talking to the wrong person about that topic.  I grew to be like a coyote who could chew off his arm to move on.  When I met my ex wife it was my first love and something very new and powerful.  I kept everything.  From cards, to ticket stubs, etc.  After 15 years of knowing each other I had aquired a lot of stuff.  2 years ago I couldn't toss it out it had value to me.  A strange concept.  My son's stuff has taken over that spot.  I have folders of papers that he has done some kind of art work on.  Who knew that I would learn to care and have feelings about sentimental things

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

My sister is the ultimate pack rat. So am I but that's besides the point. She had every piece of paper her two boys had done at school and at home. I mean it was everywhere! Something had to be done. She cried trying to decide what to keep and what to throw away. So, I came up with the idea of taking photos of every piece of paper. She kept the ones that were too special, ones she wanted to hold and the others were now in photos that showed everything. Now she has all of it and empty drawers to put more stuff in. Just a thought.

Anonymous said...

Wow, well i am a real sap and keep things that will never mean a thing to anyone in the world but me. Only i understand the meaning. So i am glad you keep some of your stuff too. Its good to reflect back yrs later.
lisa

Anonymous said...

You can always do something with them. Do some scrapbooking! There was a guy who starting, just in a spiral notebook, to journal from the moment he found out his wife was pregnant. In 21 yrs he never missed a day. On his son's 21st birthday he gave all the notebooks to his son. Can you imagine that! I would LOVE to hear what my father thought each day of me, what I did etc. Those memories can be quite valuable if it isn't just a ticket stub but you journal in the scrapbook with it who you went with, what you thought of the movie ETC! Great later also for your memory or memoirs etc.

Anonymous said...

love is a weird thing. It is very powerful. Even though she is your x it meant something. I can understand that.

Anonymous said...

I bet you are one of the most sentimental men around! And thats a good thing!

***Monica