Saturday, September 30, 2006

Words of Wisdom

"Don't let anyone make a monkey out of you."  ~ My Dad

I was down at the Neptune Festival at the ocean front today.  It's our way of celebrating that the tourist are gone.  It's a lot of fun with art and crafts for sale.  Sand sculpting competitions, music, and plenty more.  I go every year and usually pick up something.  This year I picked up a sculpted blue frog.  It really is a fancy fan chain, but I wanted it for my car under my mirror.  My friend had made me a sculpy figure years ago, but to many curios people left him amputated.  So I was finally able to find a replacement.

Anyway I was there today and I thought I saw someone I know from MySpace.  She's and attractive witty woman.  I don't ask her out because she smokes occasionally and that is one of my boundaries.  Anyway I was going to say hello when I saw that she had 2 dogs and I thought S only had one.  So my stopped and veered away.  The woman I saw was attractive and would have been happy to talk to her also.  But I didn't.  When I thought of it down the boardwalk the above words of my Dad just came to my mind.  I couldn't believe it.  It was something my Dad had said many times in my life.  It was his words of wisdom to me, but I always brushed it off.  Come to find out that it had burrowed deep into my psyche.  This happens a lot in new situations as well as with woman.  Not to be foolish I will avoid the a situation which I don't like.  However reflexively I still do it.  Well awareness is the first step so we shall see.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh now what is so bad about Monkeys? They are the biggest craze right now! They are fun & close to us in intelligence! What do you want to be a frog? Something else? :-) I love Monkeys they are so michievious! ;-) And hey we all know how Tarzan is so strong & "animalistic!" ;-) Heck, I even like George of the Jungle! Be a monkey once in a while & I bet you will have so much fun!