Sunday, October 15, 2006

Aesthetics of Art

I visited our local art museum today for the first time.  It was very nice, although I realize that the older I get the less I can take in at once.  I had to take a break between the first and second floors. 

 

One thing I contemplated as I looked through the glassware exhibit was something I started to think about a few weeks ago when I went out with Colleen.  She had stated that she moved so much she was down to what would fit in a few suitcases.  I know in my own situation having moved so much through life and in the last few years.  The first thing I shed is the bric-a-brack stuff.  It serves no purpose, but to look good.  With each move the amount gets less and less until you are left with just the practical stuff.  As I look around my room now I see I still haven’t put up my pictures yet.  There was a time long ago I would have pissed all over the place to mark my territory.  Within 48 hours of moving in my presence would have been all over the place.  Now I have a few objects.  My dragon samurai sword, Futurama figures, a Gatchaman statue, and a wooden mermaid that hangs from my ceiling.  Recently I put up a case of my figure paintings to remind me of my talents.  I have other Japanese figures that sit in my closet.  They bring me a lot of happiness, but as I look back I have allowed another woman to stop me in this area.  A woman I dated over a year ago thought they were childish.  Maybe they are maybe they aren’t but I do need to remember my happiness is paramount to my success in life.   So I will need to pop that box open tonight and take them out. 

 

I know having loss myself in my marriage I still don’t have an identity of things that I like and don’t.  Usually I make it up as I go along.  It has become a game over the last 2 years of “I like this” or “I don’t like that” to sort out where I stand on stuff.

No comments: