Saturday, October 14, 2006

The Measure of Success

How I measure my success has been on my mind the last few days.  I did a chiropractic survey the other day and one part had me measure what was the most important to me.  I marked job satisfaction the highest with money midway.  Thinking back over the last 12 years of my career I am the most happiest now and making the least amount of money I ever have and I am very grateful for the happiness.  When I was on the top of the heap I was the most depressed.  However in the back of my mind I still measure my success on how much money I make.  I don't know why.  I never have been a money hungry grub.  Looking back I think it maybe brainwashing from my ex.  Even though she said she didn't care what I did she was always on me to be making more money.  I guess a decade of that sunk in.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Deja vue Mike I thought I read this before
that's weird. I'm so glad your happy now
love, Marina

Anonymous said...

It took me awhile in life, but I've realized at this happy stage, that money is just a tool. A tool for your side pocket, not the things that stand front and center. I think it's great your happier now, wonderful in fact! To me, the most successful people are the ones who have a smile on their face and do things, often, for themselves and the people they love. Money can be a tool in that, but money doesn't buy the time needed. Kinda another one of lifes little catch-22's.............

Wishing you well always,
Rebecca

Anonymous said...

The world measures success by how much money we make, Mike... So its hard to get away from that kind of thinking.

***Monica