Monday, November 20, 2006

Weekend Rant

I can't believe my ex lets Eric be such a SLOB.  Half the words out of my mouth when we are home are, did you flush the toilet, did you put that away, did you put that in the sink, did you put you dirty clothes in a pile.  Oye.  I would hate to see the inside of their house.  Eric is always saying he can't find stuff and I know it's because he doesn't put anything away.  It is going to be such a problem for him when he gets older. 

The second is that he has picked up my ex's avoidance of problems.  Everything he dislikes or fears he avoids like the plague and I can't find a way to help him with some of these problems.

Like after any time I spend with him I feel like I am not cut out to be a father.  The usual defect of not being good enough, but I think it is coupled with I think it should go smoother.  Whatever that is?  I know it is all crap, but the feeling still comes up before I toss it out.

My camera is still broke so I need to pick up a digital camera.  Let me ask you.  Can it be 3 megs or does it have to be a 5 meg camera?

I think one of the reasons Eric enjoys our times together is that we do a lot.  For me it's just my life.  Since he was an infant he has accompanied me on my daily stuff and we had fun along the way.  So he is use to those days chocked full of stuff.  Christine one of my friends always worries that I am going to give myself a heart attack with all the stuff I do in the day.  It may seem like a lot to most people, but there is a lot of free time in between for me.  Like I describe myself I am high energy.

Since I got many comments about this I will explain.  I have visitation with Eric the 3rd weekend of every month and 2 weeks in July and 2 more in August.  I just don't have the extra $300 a month to do it every month.  So I work hard to make sure I can do it every few months.  Just doing the best I can.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

how long are you having eric this visit?

Anonymous said...

how long are you having eric this visit?

Anonymous said...

Thats all that you can do is your best...which is great...Your son wants to be with you...I know you do lots of fun things but your his pa....He is also a typical kid who hates to clean..lol...heck, I am an adult and still hate too.lol...-Raven

Anonymous said...

I was recently out to lunch with a few girlfriends recently, all married, all with kids (including myself) some with 2nd spouses and step children. We all agreed parenting is hard and it's a crap shoot...we all agreed that there is a very thin line as parents we need to walk...we need to remember how we were at that age, pick our battles wisely and remember to be good parents with discipline. Everyone questions their parenting skills and when all is said and done and your kids grow up and leave the nest AND you still like them..(lol)....Job well done! I have 2 out of the nest and 2 to go (crossing my fingers on the last 2 teenagers lol)

Anonymous said...

You know I'm on your side with things, but just pointing out that sometimes kids behave differently with different parents.   He may or may not be a "slob" at home with her.   He might even be so excited to be with you that he forgets, or who knows.   I wish you and her could actually talk about such things together.   I hope the day comes real soon when you can see Eric every month:)   And, more on holidays, also.   He knows you care and you do stay in contact.  -- Robin

Anonymous said...

You do the best you can, Mike.. that's all anyone can ask for, or expect.  You may not be able to spend lots of time with Eric.. but when you do, it's the quality of the time, not so much the quanity.  
Nothing wrong with being active!  It's good for you!  It's why you aren't overweight! :)
I hope you and Eric enjoy your time together!  Sucks that he is messy, but my kids were the same way!  I hated it!

Happy Thanksgiving to you and Eric!

Jackie

Anonymous said...

"Doing the best you can" is all that anyone could ever expect of you. I think your doing great with your boy. Keep it up. Regards, Bill.