Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Baby and the Bath Water

Reading one of my daily readers this morning and this was the title.  It reminded me how this saying got started.  Can't believe all the useless shit in my head. LOL. 

In olden days when their was no running water.  One bath would be made for the family.  Since men were more important than women.  The father would go first,  followed by the mother, then the oldest children down to the youngest.  Well you can imagine what the water looked like when you got down to the baby.  That is how the saying got started.  Make sure you check that the baby wasn't still in the dirty water, before you tossed it out.  Pretty gross huh?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just hope no one peed in that water. Ewwwww
lisa

Anonymous said...

I'm reading a book right now by Beverly Lewis about an Amish family (fiction) who take a weekly bath starting with the women and then progressing to the men. All I can say is I'm glad in our family we each take our own individual showers.

betty

Anonymous said...

yuck for sure.

Anonymous said...

I read that somewhere before...    All I can say is GROSS!
Jackie

Anonymous said...

YUCK!!!!! I am the oldest in my family but I still wouldn't want to take a bath in the same water as my mom and dad!!!! ewwwwe gross!!!! http://journals.aol.com/shayshaydc/Golfaholic
Sharon:)