Friday, February 10, 2006

Vasectomies and Condoms

Once a week a bunch of guys from the area get together and we have our men's support meeting.  We sit around for an hour or two kick up a topic and toss it around.  I enjoy it since it helps to hear other guys having the same problems I am or just a sympathetic ear. 

This week friend Steve couldn't make it because he had a vasectomy that day.  I had to make the obligatory "how they hanging" comment (for you ladies that's in the 5th chapter of How to be a Guy book). 

 

So when I got to the meeting I informed everyone that he wouldn't be there.  I was surprised to hear that most of the guys there had one.  I was very surprised.  On further questioning the response I got was the no more kids statement.  Most of them had 3-4 kids.  For some reason the song "Every Sperm is Sacred" from The Meaning of Life came to my mind.  The inquisitive guy I am had to prod some more.  I knew the answer already, but I am always surprised to hear it.  Yes it was the "hate wearing a condom" statement.  Maybe I am strange (well I know I am), but I never bought into this myth.  Having used and not used condoms over the years I have not noticed a super difference.  Also the balance of having the number of kids you want or the Brady Bunch can help influence the decision.  So I never knew if it just a guy thing in which I just don't buy a lot of the stuff or something I am just not getting.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

My hubby was fixed at the tender age of 25.  We met when we were 17 and 18, married at 19 and 20, had our first child at 20 and 21, and our second child at 21 and 22....I then requested seperate rooms...lol  Actually your right...the whole condom thing was a huge issue, and the constant fear of more kids at such a young age.  We have been married 20 years now...and no regrets. I know your thinking "thanks for sharing" lol  Take care
Dwana

Anonymous said...

My husband was a nig baby and wouldnt get one so I got one instead ahem well not a vastectomy...I just tied everything. I knew at 40 I didnt want to physical bear a child in my loins again...damn that really hurt..especially the third time lol lol
Donna in TEXAS

Anonymous said...

All I know is, medically I think its easier for a vasectomy than a tubal ligation for a woman unless she has it done at the time she gives birth. Make sure your friend goes in for his follow up sperm count thingy so that he doesn't have a surprise nine or so months down the road

betty

Anonymous said...

LOL, Mike ... that song always cracks me up !  Hmmm.... interesting responses from the guys.  I'm wondering if you would get the same answers from the women in their lives ? lol    Tina

Anonymous said...

LOL...well from the female point of view I have to agree with the male majority.  Personally I find condoms uncomfortable, and frankly my 'sensitivity' isn't affected by it...it's as if someone left the wrapper on the cookie, still tastes like a cookie but you know there's something there that's not supposed to be.

;)~

~Bernadette

Anonymous said...

Well..... not being a guy (lol) I couldn't tell you, but I do remember comments made by my brothers of , "Wearing a condom is like taking a bath with your socks on!"  OKay... I don't think even I would like that too much!  lol

Jackie

Anonymous said...

Men are very different if they have just boys, just girls or have at least one of each in my experience. I love the scene in Cheaper By the Dozen when Steve Martin doesn't like his daughter's boyfriend, though quite frankly I agree! I do love also how he & his wife are on the bed & their other daughter can't take it! HA! He asks her to hurry in leaving! YA! HA! I know a few guys who have had one done also & they respond the same way. It seems to be a bit easier than the whole tubes tied thing. I'm still not sure I'm in favor of it but that goes for either...I mean you can get things reversed if you really wanted to but sometimes it doesn't work. Actually there are some the the vasectomy didn't quite work..oops! Also, if we are talking about not with a wife....divorced etc you should still be using a condom for other reasons soooo...interesting post though!