Friday, June 9, 2006

Friday

Well today was another rush around day.  My Mom was exhausted from all the running around and still from yesterday.  I think I will need therapy after having to clean my Mom up when she didn't make it to the bathroom.  Happy to have the home health aide here over the next 2 days to help out.

The evaluation process went well and she will move in Monday.  It's weird if you engage my Mom she will respond very well.  However if you don't I think she would just sit there till she died.  I have no idea why she didn't get a walker from the rehab place.  Talking to my Mom she used one in therapy, but not in day to day.  So we requested one from the doctor.  What happened someone just walked into the place and donated a brand new one and we got it.  So now my Mom can move around on her own if she wants which is good.

This new extra job that has been added to me is a lot.  I can't do what I did today again.  I called my brother to call for the walker.  He told me to do it and in my rush I just did.  With tow jobs and now my Mom that can't happen again it is just too much.  I actually went out and bought a PDA.  I'm pretty good with my stuff, but with all my Mom's stuff added in it is too overwhelming.  Happy to say that I admitted it to myself instead of torturing myself by trying to do it all. 

It was nice to get out to work tonight so I had some down time.  However with the day just packed it is hard just to stop.  It's a busy weekend with the 2 day seminar and a late night working tomorrow.  I got help with the home aides and I scheduled and extra 2 hours in the morning to chill or go to the gym to relax.

I do have to say a world of thanks to all the people that helped yesterday with my Mom.  Many people went out of their way to help.  Even another handicapped person.  It was a good feeling to see so many caring people in the world.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Generally a lurker at your journal, I felt I wanted to comment. However, I don't have any words of wisdom or advice, so all I can say is, I wish you well.  It's a very hard thing you are doing.  Gem in UK xx

Anonymous said...

You don't seem to be a cynical person at all....but from a cynical person who tries to masquerade as Pollyanna.....I will say that the most lovely people crop up during times of need......it is always so amazing to me how many people reach out and help out when they see that someone needs that help. It totally reaffirms my tenuous faith in the good of people. I know that I have benefited from much generosity when I first moved out on my own, as well as several isolated stories of some of the best people who walk the planet.

And you're doing a good thing by making sure that you schedule time for YOU. Otherwise you're no good to anyone around you. You're worth that extra 2 hours, and I'm glad that you see that.

:)

T

Anonymous said...

I know how tough it is with getting your mom situated but it's almost done. I hope your weekend goes good.

Anonymous said...

Hey Mike,
I just wanted to make a quick comment about what a wonderful, caring son you are to do this for you momma!  As I figured out a while back, you always put others before yourself, and here is another example.  You should be very proud of yourself, even though right now I know it feels like you just can't make it through, but you know you can with all your heart.  I'm glad to call you my friend!
Love, Linda