Sunday, June 4, 2006

Male Society

Surprising my son called me today.  Usually my ex has him stay to the 3 calls a week.  Even though he can call anytime.  Anyway after today's soccer game 2 separate boys called him names.  So he was angry and upset about the incident.  I was happy that he called to tell me about it and that he didn't think the names the boys called were true.  Ah the initiation into male society.  How far can a fight be?  I shared my history of being named called.  I use to hate it so much especially for having the last name "Vanella".  Surprisingly my Dad helped me with this issue.  He wasn't trying to, but I say him joking about the last name with people.  I guess seeing him not care made me not care so much about it. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's good your son knows he can call you and talk to you. keep that open communication..no matter what your advice was to him, what's important was he knows he can call you anytime and count on you to talk things like this. That's wonderful.
Gem~

Anonymous said...

My daughter knows that she can call her dad (or his g/f or her half-sister, whomever) anytime she's with me, and that I'll take her calls, or text-messages, anytime she's away from me.   What's unfortunate is that he refuses to give her my messages or allow her to feel that same comfort level in just picking up the phone to talk.   The controlling communication bit is not good.   M knows this, though, and as she gets older, deals with it better and better, and at least knows she has me there, and that I do call her once a day when she's away even if she doesn't get the messages.   Stay hanging in there and being that good dad for him:)  
And, yeah, my brother once tried little-boy version of football.   His couch yelled out our last name -- which rhymes very well with dammit.   The game would have been forfeited if my father hadn't also been there and could show proof of last name (not sure if my mother had gone back to her maiden name by then or not).   I got called lots of names myself -- it's not just males who do this.   Actually, I thought boys fought things out and girls were cruel verbally, when fighting.   Apparently it's not so delineated as this.  -- Robin

Anonymous said...

It's good that your son feels comfortable to call any time, to share with you. Name calling, I remember when my kids got called there first name, they were in shock.