Thursday, December 15, 2005

The Art of Listening

Because I can hear I think I am listening.  At times that has been far from the truth.  In general men have more of a problem with this than woman.  Since listening is an aspect of empathy which men in general aren't taught.  I know I can get so caught up in my feelings and fears that I forget to listen.  I knew as I grew up, and still do, I felt enormous pressure to be good, be perfect, be strong, to be accomplished.  When I feel I have failed in any one of these areas I can become scarred to death that I will lose love and respect completely.  The conclusion is I am a bad person.  Intellectually I know all of this is crap, but in the moment with a flush of feelings and a old 8 track tape playing in the back of my mind.  It can feel VERY REAL. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mike,
I am glad I have found your journal. You left a few comments in mine, but I never knew where to find you. :o) But I saw you left a link in another j, so I thought I would give you a peek to see what your journal is all about. I like what I see here. I will be back!

***Monica
http://journals.aol.com/chseroo/LivingLifeandLovinit