Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Perspective

I can't say my father was one of those old school dads.  Hard to say we never really interacted.  If we did it was usually negative or just "pass the cheese".  It was interesting that one day talking to a friend he was jealous of my relationship with my Dad.  I have to tell you my jaw dropped.  I had watched a lot of TV, been in a bunch of bars with my Dad, and had many emotionally traumatic episodes with my Dad.  So I really had to ask "what the f*ck are you talking about?"  When his parents divorced his dad just took off and was never seen again.  There it was in perspective.  My Dad for all his limitations had seen me every Sunday when we were seeing each other.  He may have never been able to cross the bridge and connect, but he did show up.  Traditionally men in our society are judged by what we do.  So he did.  Not running out to buy him a father of the year award, but it did change how I saw him.  I guess it is up to me now to raise the standard and bestow on my son what it means to be a Dad and a man.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes I guess it is
BTW I wish my father would leave and never come back
What a lucky guy your friend is LOL Can you tell I have issues?
Hugs, Marina

Anonymous said...

if only more men would not only think like this but act like it,  kids need both male and female role models.
Missy

Anonymous said...

    Isn't it interesting to find out how others look at our relationships ?   You are right, hearing something like this makes us take another look.  Tina http://journals.aol.com/onemoretina/Ridealongwithme