Saturday, December 24, 2005

The Spirit of the Season

"Man is the only animal that laughs and weeps;  for he is the only animal that is stuck with the difference between what things are, and what the ought to be."  ~ William Hazlitt

As I sit here on Christmas Eve by myself communicating with friends and keeping myself occupied.  I wonder is this a merry holiday or not for me?  Many people I know have offered there sympathies on my situation and I have thanked them for them.  I can't say it is the best situation, but I will make the best of it.  I could have seen family, but I doubt if I would have been happy.  I could have seen my son, but I would rather have the 2 extra weeks during the summer than this one night.  So like the rest of my life I make the best of the situation.  I have enjoyed my day except for this stupid head pain (see today's other entry).  I will continue to do so tonight and tomorrow.  For I know if I can't enjoy myself I will never enjoy my time with someone else.  It is an age old problem for me.  Looking for others to fill up what is lacking in me.  So I take these quiet times and use them to make myself a better person.  That will always tell me if I should laugh or weep.  Am I moving in the right direction.  Self enlightenment or self indulgences.  Looking to make things better or looking at something else so I don't have to look at myself.  I am happy to say I don't know how things should be, but I do know where I am at the moment.  That is all I need right now.  I will get to where I am going.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think you will, Mike:)  Positive push while introspecting.....   Hope it was a Merry Christmas.   Hard to be away from ones child, but right, 2 weeks this summer instead!  -- Robin