Wednesday, December 7, 2005

What Exactely Does it Mean to be a Man?

[Sean Connery as James Bond]

It's a funny thing.  Men are half the population, but it's a question that is never asked out loud.  So as boys grow to men where is this definition of who they should be coming from.  For me and I think for a lot of guys its from that box in the corner of the living room.  Or models so outdated that if it were any other circumstance it would be ridiculous.  It's so hard to get good polish for my knight's armor and that raping and pillaging thing was never me.  However you ladies seem to like your knights.  Maybe cool and suave like James Bond.  Gadgets, using women just for sex, and I would get a license to kill people.  Not to shabby.  Or we could always drop back to the strong silent type.  Always cool.  A stoic SOB that never lets you in or says what he feels.  "Hey I think I feel something.  I think it's a emotion.  Did you every feel an emotion?"  On the other end of the spectrum we have the sensitive one who is depicted in all the sitcoms.  You know him he is the fumbling baboon of manhood riddled with inadequacies.  You know him.  He's never the star just the comic relief.  Oh yes I want to be him. 

So how is a man suppose to be strong without violence and anger?  Sensitive and compassionate without looking like and idiot?  Generous without giving himself away.  I have no idea.  I am still fumbling around myself and when I look at my son what do I tell him.  That yes I want him to stay the emotionally expressive boy he is just be ready for a whole lot of ass whooping and name calling for being different.  A guy's life still undefined and not changing anytime soon.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If he's anything like his dad i'm sure he will grow up just fine
Hugs, Marina

Anonymous said...

  You've made an excellent point here.  I feel for men in our society.  They get mixed messages every day.  There has been so much emphasis in the last thirty years or so on women's roles, that everybody seems to have forgotten that men aren't quite sure just what it is that we women want from them anymore.  Heck ... they aren't sure what they want from themselves anymore, either.  And you are right on the number as far as the portrayals on TV and in the movies. It's either Macho Man, or Bumbling Idiot.  Pathetic, and sorry role models.  What are we teaching our sons?  Tina http://journals.aol.com/onemoretina/Ridealongwithme

Anonymous said...

I think men are people and should be whoever they are..whether the silly funny guy or the tough guy. Whatever a man is..he should be.
The differences in people..make the world interesting...don't cha think?

I'm raising  my son to be open...to be able to ask me anything or talk about anything. But he's still very secretive...a sagitarious like you. I think he's more embarassed to talk to me about stuff but I try and then I see he gets comfortable.  He's met his share of bullies and I have taught him about them. He's tried to bully and I have taught him about that. I teach him how to be caring and protective because as a grown up he will need to protect his family. I will say....it's harder raising a boy then a girl..having a 17 year old daughter...it was cake raising her. With my son I find him facing things I never thought of till he faced them and we work through them together.Just keep that communication open. Be his rock and he will become a rock!