Saturday, December 2, 2006

Day Two

Jeez I must be getting old.  I know the real problem is that we have been so slow this year and then WHAM all these cars.  My body can't take the change.  I was in agony going down the stairs tonight.  I had to go backwards to make it bearable.  We were even busier than last night and they all came at once.  So my biggest problem is not screaming obscenities as I go up and down the stairs at home and wake my room mates.

Other than that I have my usual valet rants. 

- I hate key rings with so much crap hanging off of it.  I mean pictures, bottle openers, lights, strange objects, and lanards all on the same key ring.  Hell you could put in display in a art gallery for pop art. 

- I hate 50 million car keys on the ring.  Which one is yours damn it! 

- Please know what your car look like. Don't let me drive it up in front of you and stand there for five minutes before you realize, "Hey this is my car."

- Don't tip me $2 and tell me its so I can have a good night.  I can't even get a soda and chips from the machine downstairs for $2.  Give me a $10 and then we're talking.

- Don't own a 2007 Lexus convertible and then give me a $1 tip like its the greatest thing since sliced bread. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh gosh Mike...I've never done the kind of work you're doing (valet) and from reading this, looks like it's no fun specially when the customers are cheapskate.
Try not to let it get to you and your holidays.
Gem :-)

Anonymous said...

Valet parking is how things are done here in Las Vegas. I don't think that I've parked myself in the last ten years. Libby and I have had a number of jobs where tipping was were we made any money at all. The base salary wasn't ebough to keep you alive. I have found that here in town most folks give the Valet a buck!! I can't believe it but, it appears to be true. I always tip a $5. It seems to me that if I'm having a good time I can at least take care of the Valet. I guess those who have done the "service" job are the ones who actually know "how it is". Regards, Bill.

Anonymous said...

I was SO glad this weekend at Oireachtas when I didn't have to use the valet but could drive around and find a spot myself.......   I knew I didn't have sufficient money to pay for it which IMHO includes a real tip.   But, gosh, how do people know what a decent parking car tip is?   I wouldn't have known that valet's didn't get a real salary, too, if not for you.   Besides, I like getting in and out of it myself when I want / need to, and we did a few times.   I did think of you, however.   This valet guy looked bored in the odd hours that I saw him, anyway.   -- Robin