Tuesday, December 5, 2006

Coyote

As a child growing up I use to think of myself as a coyote, in the sense that a coyote could chew off its own arm as I could drop people.  My family was not happy with this since they were the target of this habit, but hey I learned from the best.  My father had separated from me four times before I said F*CK this, I don’t need this crap anymore.  I probably learned this most from my older brother.  He had the habit of getting very excited and very into things.  However, when the excitement waned he ended dropping it.  I use to say he started with animals and then worked his way up to humans.  He never saw the humor in it, but I guess I just hit a sore spot.  After all the pets, friends, and wives he had gone through. 

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /> 

I remember one day with our first marriage counselor my ex expressed fear that I would drop her like I did family members.  I was really shocked since I really loved her and I was putting so much into the marriage.  I was also shocked since she had tried to walk out two times in the past when things had gotten bad.

 

I don’t remember what made me refer to myself a coyote again today.  However, then I stopped myself and though of a session with our second marriage counselor.  My ex again expressed the fear that I would leave.  This time however, our counselor pointed out the long time we had been together and I hadn’t left.  Then she pointed out how many times my ex had told me to leave and I had said no. 

 

As always it takes a lot for things to sink into my conscious mind.  My friend Harrol has told me so many times in the last in the last two years how persistent a person I am.  Not giving up against incredible odds.  Yet still the old image in my head was still there in my head.  So I pull my leg out of the jaws of the steel trap today with all my limbs intact.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You sure have a knack for using one thing to compare to another.  I always thought that saying came from the movie "Coyote Ugly."  When the owner of the bar was asked why she named it that, she said, "Have you ever woke up after a drunken night, and looked over at the person next to you, and they were so ugly that you would rather chew off your own arm than wake em' up?"  I'm sure the saying was around long before that, I just never heard it, until I saw that movie!

Jackie

Anonymous said...

"So I pull my leg out of the jaws of the steel trap today with all my limbs intact."

love that!

I can relate...passion moves me and when that dulls, I am a goner, literally. -Raven

Anonymous said...

I have a little coyote in me too!  Happy Hump Day!!!

Terra