Wednesday, December 13, 2006

It's a good tip, right?

"It's not that men don't like to be driven.  It's that we don't like to be taken for a ride." ~ James Bond (Thunderball)

We had four parties tonight at valet.  I got the person running the show of one of the parties.  She was like the valet is taking care of and I don't want you collecting tips form anyone.  I'll take care of you at the end.  (The most feared words in valet)  See I have money as she holds up a ten and a bunch of singles.  Things are not looking good.  She went through the usual questions.  Where am I parking it?  Make sure I lock it.  She has overactive bladder medication in it (more information than I need).  I felt like saying, "lady I'm going to pour gas all over your minivan and torch it.  After I've moved your seat, reset all your stations, and beat the piss out of it joy ridding."

Anyway she comes down and says 5 cars.  $2 per car that's a good tip right?  I kind of give her the tiniest of nods. She keeps repeating herself hoping I'll play along.  I finally make a little noise which I can't spell.  So she digs in her purse for more money.  $3 per car now that's a really good tip.  I reply that it's okay.  She repeats herself that it's a good tip.  Hey if it lets her sleep at night so be it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I really like my car, and I really really appreciate when I don't have to walk a huge distance, so my typical tip and it's both ways, when I hand over my key, and hand over my slip, is usually 5 bucks. 10 bucks total for the evening. Now, I've been told this is too much, and I've been told it's just right. I have no idea.
But then again, there's only two places in Boise Idaho that actually have valet, so when I go there, I'd give 10 bucks each way just for the luxury.
I would think if she was going to 'take care of all the cars' and take away the people's choice, she would over compensate to make sure you were well taken care of.
I dunno,
I was raised, that if anyone gives you a service, you show both gratitude in your manners and appreciation from your wallet.
It'a always worked for me.
Rebecca

Anonymous said...

I don't know anything about  "good" Valet tips, I know I tip based on friendliness, fast  &  courteousness-20%? (I'm talking about restaurant tip here) maybe someday I'll have the luxury to stay or go to a nice luxury hotel where I drive my car up and someone take care of it for me. Now, I know I'll give GOOD tip.
Gem :-)