Sunday, March 26, 2006

Well Finally

Well I finally got to talk to my sister in law tonight to get some answers on how things are going with my Mom.  In a normal family this would have happen straight away, but we like to do things a little different.  My Mom called me and I was happy to hear her sound better than yesterday.  She says she is having a hard time remembering things.  So something must have happened since October when we had her checked for Alzheimers.  So getting very little information from my Mom.  My brother and family are sitting there also.  So after a while of shooting the breeze with my Mom my sister in law finally gets on.  So she is whispering to me like this is a government secret.  Someone always has to be in the dark in my family.  Never fails.  Anyway physically my Mom is okay, but her memory is deteriorating.  She is able to take care of herself, but household stuff, driving, etc.  Will need to have someone else do it.  My brother got a person to come clean the house once a week now.  They will talk more to the doctor tomorrow to see what is going on and see what kind of living arrangement we need for her.  Sad to hear this happening to my Mom, but as always knowing what's going on is so much easier for me to deal with.  It's the not knowing that kills me.  So there is some stress here, but I am dealing with it and that is all I can do.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes I agree better to know for sure. Happy your sil gave you some answers.  How old is your mom?

Anonymous said...

Mike .... this sounds awfully familiar to me.  In my family, there is no direct communication.  If my mother has something to say about one of my sisters, she says it to me, not them.  If my aunt has a problem with my mother, I am the one that hears about it.  Everything is always in hushed tones, and "don't tell her I told you's" ... Drives me bloody crazy.  There has got to be an easier way than the way my family deals with problems. Good luck to you, my friend.  And try not to worry too much.  I know it's easier said than done, but all things will come out in due time.   Tina  

Anonymous said...

If your Mother has Alzheimers and she remembered YOUR phone number and called you, YOU must be pretty special to her, Mike. She obviously loves you and will think of you always as a good son even if her memory should go away forever over the next few months or so. Aren't you glad you cared for her when it counted the most and never delayed your love for her? It's great you finally got some answers.--angel

Anonymous said...

at least now you know what you are dealing with; not that it makes things any easier.  But I also would much rather know what is going on than being in the dark and pretending everything is just fine.  Good luck to you , your Mom and your family. Remember..one hour at a time!
Have a good week!
Maria

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear about your mother. Sounds as if your family is doing everything possible to make things easier for her though.

Tracie

Anonymous said...

Ok...that's what I suspected it was.  We have altzheimers in my in-law family...I understand your struggle.  Hugs to you and your mom hon...hugs upon hugs. ;)  C.  http://journals.aol.com/gdireneoe/thedailies

Anonymous said...

My aunt also had the same and yes it was hard and there was all that drama too in the beginning with the family but now that all that is past, she is where she needs to be and the family now does what is best for her.