Thursday, March 30, 2006

A Family Affair

I've only talked to my SIL 3 times and I am already very tired of it.  In a way it is a good thing.  Any inkling that I had that keeping contact with them might have been a good thing has truly been squashed.  The guilt, the one upmanship, etc.  I can take it.  I have to admit this is pretty much 80% of my anxiety with all of this.  Dealing with them. 

My brother who I haven't talked to in about 8 years is older than me by 14 years (we had different dads).  So he was always more a father figure than brother.  I gave him too much power growing up and he abused it.  So I still get a sharp pang of fear when they call.  It doesn't last for which I am grateful, but I hate the Pavlovian response. 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

your a grown man and you can make the right decisions for you.

Anonymous said...

I have so many of these same issues with my own family members. My mother always used to say " you can pick your friends but you can't pick your relatives".
I guess this means there are some in every family...so take comfort in the fact that you are not alone.
Have a great weekend Mike!!
things will get better...just one day at a time!
Maria

Anonymous said...

Hey someone remembers so psych! Ha!

Anonymous said...

You can't change them, Mike. Only yourself. By now, we're betting  Big Bro is probably wishing HE was the one 14 years younger. You have all the advantages. Throw away the pavlovian bells. YOU are a winner. --angel

Anonymous said...

I understand your feelings totally. Its better to cut off contact when its possible and live your own life but sometimes thats easier said than done! Hugs to you,lisa jo

Anonymous said...

I've learned recently that romantic relationships are easy compared to the relationships you have with your family. I never thought "family" could be toxic, I was wrong.
~ Jenny

Anonymous said...

Just wanted you to know I am still here and thinking of you.  

Terra