Saturday, May 20, 2006

What a Difference a Year Brings

I attended the Stockley Garden Art festival today.  It was interesting to go.  A year ago I went for the first time, but more of importance it was my first real journey out there.  It opened my eyes to all the great stuff we have in the Hampton Roads area.  Pretty much from now to the end of summer there is at least one festival a weekend somewhere.  Usually there are several good ones at the same time which sucks.  Anyway as I walked the isles of artist I realized how much I had changed in the last year.  I was proud and happy as I walked around today.  No longer a mouse in the world.  The realization was interesting as well as enjoyable.  My favorite artist wasn't there to pick up something so I ended picking up a Asian print of some cherry blossoms with some snow falling. 

I got a nice relaxing sit by the water afterwards to let all the tension drain out of me.  What was funny now was on the way to work from their I drove past one of the missions for the homeless.  It made me remember almost 2 years ago after I separated from my ex that I knew all these places in case I became homeless and living on the street.  Never got that bad which I am grateful.

Besides the festival today to start of the summer season.  Our scooter man is back.  Around 5 each night during the summer season this older guy on a scooter goes up and down the streets.  Where he has the sound system is beyond me, but he is blasting some great 70's music.  It's always a great song to bounce to. So I got wave to him to welcome him back.  He gave me the thumbs up.  Gotta love it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would love scooter guy to come here. Sounds like you  had a really great time. It's funny how in a year a person can change. Sounds like all your changes are so positive for you.

Anonymous said...

Love the scooter guy! I love 70's music!!  I am glad you never needed the homeless shelters Mike. I didn't know you a year ago but I am glad things have changed for the better for you. You sound like you are on a great journey of discovery. Go Mike!!
Lyn

Anonymous said...

I love 70s music too! I like listening to the AOL XM channel! Have fun!