Thursday, January 12, 2006

The Enemy in the Living Room

I use to joke that I was rais by the television set.  I use to be a walking TV guide when I was young.  Now that I am a parent it is not as funny anymore.  Never though I would be on this side of the fence.  It is easy to look at the shows and make sense of it all, but to a young child it is reality.  I remember my son and I use to talk about the shows.  He would ask how a character could do something.  I would say something like you know he isn't real it is just a cartoon.  He would answer yes, but how does he do that?  I would laugh and shake my head.  So I us to monitor what he watched and how long he watched.  It is true kids metabolism decreases the more the watch TV.  Seen it and heard it enough on our phone calls.  The brain dead zone.  All you get out of them is uh huh, ... uh huh, ... .  Why I am writing this I don't know.  I don't have that control over my son's life anymore, but I am surprised by seeing the TV as a problem now.  It was my best friend growing up and most of my life.  Guess my views have changed with me watching less of it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So true, Mike.  But I think I use to use the TV as a babysitter when my girls were small.  I feel awful about it, but I started getting sick soon after they were born, and on those hard days, I did just that.  Its ok, now they don't hardly watch any TV at all.  BUT they do spend most of their "free" time on MySpace.....I'm still trying to figure out if that is a good thing or a bad thing..........hhhuummm......any thoughts?!?!?!?!
Hugs, Linda