Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Volunteer Work

I volunteered at our local SPCA today to go to one of the local schools to read to them and show off and  animal.  I was nervous at first, but it was a whole lot of fun.  There were four sessions with kids from 1st through 5th.  They were all good as was my demonstration animal Jack.  Jack is a dwarf rabbit and very cute.  He did very well with all the kids and he only made one hole in my pants while on my lap. 

It was a great experience.  I have been trying to do some community work when I have free time. It has been a nice way t o give back to  place I love to live.  Since I am a big animal lover the SPCA has been a good choice for me.  Some facts from our shelter so you know what happens to one by you.  We get about 6000 animals a year looking for homes and it takes about $3200/day to run the facility.    You would be surprised at what the facility needs besides the usual food and litter.  Newspapers, towels, and many recyclable items.  They usually have a list.  So if you would like to help any of the furry friends in your area just check with them.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How sweet Mike, a wonderful way to give back to your community!

Terra

Anonymous said...

It's great that you volunteer. I love to volunteer in my son's school. Those kids love anyone new in their class. Makes you feel good, doesn't it?

***Monica

Anonymous said...

I had a dwarf bunny, looked just like the first one in the picture. Being the animal lover I am I have wanted to volunteer with them for a while now, I just need to make the call. I have the time to do it and I'm sure they could use the help. I might be tempted to bring them all home though : )
~ Jenny

Anonymous said...

Although many won't let a youth under certain ages help handson, there are other ways, like you suggest, donating items.   My daughter collected shoeboxes (the cats snuggle in them) and other items for the local shelter here to help her earn her Girl Scout Bronze Award.   :)   Glad you get to do this. -- Robin yes commenting AGAIN, I'm TRYING to get through one month of your posts, lol.