Saturday, January 28, 2006

A New Way

Was reading the paper this morning and I was reading an article about Scott Haltzman a psychiatrist.  He deals with marriages and says that traditional marriage counseling doesn't work for men. He stated that trying to get men in touch with their feelings like a women wouldn't work since men are wired differently from the neck up.  The basis of his belief was for men to use what makes them successful in the world and use it in the marriage.  Like a job description a man needs to know what his job is.  I can relate to this.  I came into my marriage with a different view of how things should be and until everything was laid down there were problems.  A concrete honey-do list just like at a job can do wonders.  At work men are the masters of relationship building.  Take this skill back into the marriage.  I have had women look at me strange when they have found my list of what they like and don't like.  I think they took offense that I needed a list for this and that something in me just wouldn't make it happen.  My response was do you like how I treat you and do for you?  They would usually answer yes and I would say now you know why. 

Feelings drive women, but for men feelings only go so far.  Usually to the extent of I'm hungry, I want sex, and I need to take a sh*t.  Hey were simple creatures. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm..thanks for clueing us in. Hey, you`re the one who said SIMPLE not me.
http://journals.aol.com/pennietoonz/PennysPlace

Anonymous said...

That's one thing that drives me crazy about men, they don't open up with their feelings. GRRRRR!!! Really, you have no idea how frustrating this is to women.
If you feed them, forgive them, and f*ck them they usually are content LOL.
~ Jenny

Anonymous said...

If only marriage were simple... Sigh.

***Monica